Preparing for the upcoming office relocation requires lots of planning and at least one very organized individual. Before even the earliest move begins, the preparation should be well under way. Here are some useful tips from a Montreal moving company that will help you plan an office moving event.
- Take inventory. Know what products within the building are going to be included in the move. If any equipment is leased or rented, confirm with the owner that the items will be moved to a new location. In some instances, the lease agreement may include terms that the owner transports all their own equipment. As for other office furniture such as desks, chairs and modular walls, they should be clearly labeled before the move. Color coded inventory stickers work well for this, and ensure that the proper equipment is delivered to the appropriate place in the new office.
- Involve staff leaders. An effective way to satisfy employee curiosity and ease your work load is to involve staff members throughout all levels of the organization. Providing them with accurate information and expectations also makes local movers happy because they are not required to answer these questions on moving day. Another benefit of having involved staff is that group leaders can then delegate tasks within individual departments to make the labeling and packing more efficient.
- Consider the technology. The IT department will undoubtedly want to be actively involved in the planning before the move. To keep downtime at a minimum, most IT cabling and equipment moves will be done at off-peak hours very close to the move-in date. Some sensitive equipment may require a climate controlled environment, so know what items you will be moving before you consult with Montreal movers.
- Tricky equipment. In addition to servers and other computer equipment, other potentially tricky equipment will be included in the office move. Be sure that all printers, fax machines, laminators and typewriters have been emptied of any inks or toners before packing. To prevent damage, these items should be carefully stored upright and should not be stacked.
- Clarify expectations with the moving company. A Montreal moving company will do the same job for your office as a long distance moving company will do for your home. The general idea is to transport items from one location to another, but of course the process involves much more. Work with the company to determine exactly what you will be doing and what items will be their responsibility.
Leaving this to chance may mean you expect them to pack the contents of all filing cabinets, but if that was not listed in the contract, someone has a lot of extra work to do quickly on moving day. If all equipment is going at one time, the moving company should be made aware. However, if you are moving department by department (including all their specialty equipment), let the movers know in advance what goes with each section.